Thursday, April 4, 2013

Fashionably Hide Your Toilet Paper


Have you ever been a guest at someone's house and walk in to use the loo only to find your host is out of toilet paper? Well, today, that ever-so-annoying empty toilet paper roll staired me in the face... in my own home. Squatting and waddling to get a new roll from the hall closet crossed my mind, but then I saw a box of Kleenex. Who knew Kleenex would save my life?

In a quest to solve the awkward predicament I found myself in, and to save my future guests, I decided to make a fashion statement in our newly painted bathroom with an old oats cardboard container and contact paper. And this is what I came up with...

 


What you'll need:
  • 1 empty cardboard oats container
  • Decorative contact paper (I found mine at TJ Maxx for $5.99)
  • Scissors
  • Toilet paper to fill 



To begin, I took the oats label off the container, making sure I didn't rip any edges. Next, I unrolled the contact paper and traced the old label onto the back of it to ensure an accurate fit on the outside of my container.


Cut the contact paper to fit the cardboard container.


Peel the back of the contact paper off and adhere the paper to the container. This part was a little more difficult. Instead of peeling all the backing off the contact paper, I did it a little at a time as I stuck it onto the container.


Finally, place the toilet paper rolls inside. I chose to keep the lid to the container because I didn't like the brown cardboard showing. I'm still considering painting the inside to give a more uniform look, but we'll see if I ever get around to it.


This literally took me all of 5 minutes to make. Good luck in your endeavors!

-Melanie




2 comments: